Haute Trash: From the Garbage Can

What is It?


 "Don't throw it out, wear it out!"

Imagine garbage that rots away, going to plug up a landfill, or possibly to the near recycling bin. You can recycle all you want, but sometimes there are things we can only throw out. Lots of packaging, plastic bags, and old things we just don't use anymore. People from local High Schools, the community, and UCM fashion students all came together to try and turn their garbage into something wearable.

What Goes Into It?

The goal of Haute trash is to create awareness for how much garbage we throw out, and how it can impact the environment. When a model comes out on the stage, a PowerPoint slide pops up behind them, with what the outfit is made of, and an Eco fact. 

 
(Photos taken from Dawn Snow on facebook)


Guess who had the opportunity to make all of those slides?

It was me!

My role in Haute trash was very behind the scenes, but it allowed me to see a new side of the fashion program we have at school.  Taking the sustainability for consumer products class at UCM, and having been a bit of a "green" person myself, I know the world is not in the best of shape. I researched all sorts of materials, I learned many interesting facts, and it is ingrained in my head that plastic bags are the devil. 

Show time came around, and I had a very unique view.
 
(taken from the "nest" by me via my phone camera)

I turned on the whirring antique of a spotlight and waited for show time. The show began, the room filled up fast. It was time to present. Models came out, their outfits really only recognizable from the logos or the slides pointing out what they were.

It was a unique view that offered a lot of fun with the garbage we normally throw out. We are past the point of flour sack dresses, but maybe we can make a comeback with mesh sacks used for fruit and potatoes?

... Maybe we're not ready for that, but there's certainly a lot to learn from our garbage cans.

Written By: Alix Jarnagin


Comments

Popular Posts