7 Countries in 7 Weeks; A Packing Guide


In May, I will be heading across the pond for a seven-week journey throughout Europe! The initial reason for going is I’m taking a three-week class at Hanze University in Gronigen, Netherlands. However, since the opportunity presented itself, I will be traveling before and after my studies. Besides the Netherlands, I will be going to Croatia, France, England, Ireland, Germany, and Belgium.


As a fashion major, the first thought that came to mind was, what am I going to wear? Seven weeks is a long time to spend with a minimal assortment of my closet. And from what I do own, it would be a misfortune to pack the wrong things. To prevent this from happening in advance, this is my ultimate European packing guide:
*This photo has served as a handy guide when selecting versatile pieces. 

Suitcase:


My suitcase is 27in so when deciding what to bring and what to leave in the states, the suitcases size is something very important to keep in mind. I also have a 50lbs weight limit that I have to be cautious of, carrying more around than that would be impossible from country to country. And of course, saving space for new purchases is a must and something I will keep in mind every time I try and rationalize packing things that are unnecessary. 
27'' Samsonite 

Suitcase interior

Clothing:

When it comes to packing clothes, the key is to bring items that mix and match well so you can create more outfits with less items. I also intend to bring a few statement pieces for special occasions and a few business professional pieces for when my class requires it.

  • 5 lightweight shirts (varying sleeve lengths)
  • 2 tank tops
  • 4 blouses
  • 5 summer dresses/rompers
  • 3 pairs of shorts (1 pair being denim)
  • 2 pairs of dress pants
  • 2 blazers (1 black and 1 cream)
  • 2 professional shift dresses
  • 2 swimsuits
  • 3 pairs of leggings (for travel and sleep)
  • 1 maxi skirt
  • 2 pairs of jeans (1 dark wash denim and 1 black)
  • 1 rainproof jacket (first purchase upon arrival)
  • 1 cardigan
  • 1 leather jacket
  • 3 bras (1 being a sports bra)
  • 4 pairs of socks
  • 10 pairs of underwear

Accessories:

When it comes to packing accessories you want to bring items that are neutral and go with a lot but also you wouldn't be heartbroken to part ways with in the event it is lost. Below is the assortment of accessories I intend to bring.
  • 1 pair of sandals
  • 1 pair of short booties (wear when traveling to save space)
  • 1 pair of heels 
  • 1 pair of closed toed shoes
  • 1 pair of wedges
  • 2 scarves
  • 3 necklaces
  • 1 small crossbody bag

Odds and Ends: 

Just some additional things I will be packing for my travels and my classes. I do not intend to bring any hair tools because it is a safer bet to just buy one over there because they do not react well to adapters. I will also be buying toiletries over there such as shampoo, conditioner, etc. so it does not add unnecessary weight to my suitcase.

  • Laptop
  • Phone charger
  • Electronics adapter 
  • Condensed makeup bag (only pack what is used daily)
  • Hairbrush 

Packing Tip:

Roll your clothes! This packing method is used by the pros to ensure that suitcase space is being properly utilized. Rolling also prevents wrinkles than the traditional folding method for many types of fabrics.  Below is a comparison to show that when clothes are rolled they take up less space. 
Although it is a little hard to tell, the rolled clothes take up about 3in. less space on both sides.

Ready to go!

I hope you found this list helpful featuring the absolute essentials! I am now going to go pack it all so I am ready for departure!

By: Jenni Hermanson





Comments

Popular Posts